Monday, January 30, 2012

My mother planted a few okra and pumpkins about 10 inches into the ground. Will they sprout?

I rented a garden plot and my mother wanted to help out with the planting, but she didn't read the directions on how deep to plant the seeds. I'm worried that they'll never sprout and if I should plant something else instead.

My mother planted a few okra and pumpkins about 10 inches into the ground. Will they sprout?
Wow that's deep! Pumpkins should be about 1in deep. I have been growing giant pumpkins for years. Have you ever tried Atlantic Giant pumpkins? I had a 512lb pumpkin last year and this year will be even better. I eventually want a record or to win a state fair. Anyway, I'll let you in on a secret. If your not into chemistry or math here's a tip that will make any variety of pumpkin grow bigger. It's called double rooting. After your vines get about 2 feet long start covering up the base where the vine leaves the ground with loose soil. Keep covering every so often until you have about 2ft of the original vine covered 2in or more deep. This promotes new root growth and allows more water and nutrients into the fruit. Happy gardening. Oh yeah, replant now. The eariler the better.
Reply:Thats to deep, they will never come up. Plant some more Okra and Pumpkins right on top of them about 2 inches deep, she will never know the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment