Monday, January 30, 2012

What should I do to grow a pine tree sapling in a pot?

I dug up this one inch, just-born pine tree and planted it in a pot and well the soil is good and I gave it a lot of sunlight, beacuse pines love sun and it looks linda dryinsh - still alive but dryish... what's wrong? How long is it going to take to be at least 10 inches tall? Aren't pines fast-growers?

What should I do to grow a pine tree sapling in a pot?
Water it well until roots recover from transplant shock, but don't drown it (soil should drain well).



Young pines actually need partial shade and will burn if they get too much direct high angle sun. Also, high heat will retard growth.



One thing I can tell you. Common spruce pines grow in all kinds of conditions and can look dead but still come back.



I pulled a 8" sapling out of a crack in a sidewalk a few years back, planted in a small pot and proceeded to neglect it, but always managed to water it before it died and it kept growing. I've seen it turn brown all over and still turn green again.



Now it's rootbound in the pot and waiting for me to get motivated and transplant it to a larger container or into the ground.



Meanwhile, ol' Charlie Brown keeps hanging on. I call it that after Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree, 'cause that's what it looks like sometimes. Kinda scraggly, LOL.



Oh, and it is a slow grower like a lot of pines are in nature. On X-Mas tree farms, I think it takes about 15 -- 20 years from sapling to harvest (~6').
Reply:It probably wouldn't take forever for it to get to 10", but some pines actually seem like slow growers. Probably depends on the species. Hopefully it will bounce back for you, some plants are picky about being uprooted.



Maybe some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine


No comments:

Post a Comment