Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How do you plant around existing plants?

I have a sparsely populated backyard.The east side of my house has a couple of shrubs and small trees but they are all not close to each other.I'd like to fill the empty spaces in between these plants.These plants have been around for a couple years and they are growing well, I don't want to uproot them so that I can raise the planting bed.I also don't want the water run-off to choke them. I do have the intention of amending the soil (and putting up an edging)so that will probably raise the soil level to a couple of inches or so but not to the proper height for a raised bed. So can I just plant on this soil level and make individual mounds for my new plants? Or do I have to raise the beds?...*groan* Thanks to anybody who can give me tips! .

How do you plant around existing plants?
You don't have to raise the soil level to amend the soil. Plant plant new plants. Dig the soil, mix amendments with the native soil, and then backfill with the amended soil.



Dig the hole only as deep as the container of the plant you're planting. You don't want the crown of the plant (where the roots become stems) to be below ground level. But dig the hole twice as wide as the container.
Reply:most perennials are vary hardy and there are sure to be plenty of good stuff in your current soil so just over digging the hole a lil and adding a lil potting soil shuld be fine good luck

wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment