Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I have two moonlight gouramis, and the larger of the two keeps the smaller one cornered. How can I help?

My tank is a 46 gallon bow front, and I have also 5 neon tetras, two bleeding heart tetras and a pleco. The gouramis are approx. 2 1/2 and 3 inches long, and don't bother any of the other fish. Should I get one more gourami so they develop a 'pecking order'? The smaller fish will come out of the corner on occasion (especially to feed), but the larger one will see it and chase it back. I like the moonlights because they are beautiful fish, and I thought docile, but this is seeming to prove otherwise. Any ideas? My tank is planted, but they don't seem to hide in the plants.

I have two moonlight gouramis, and the larger of the two keeps the smaller one cornered. How can I help?
Can you rearrange the tank? Sometimes that helps. Adding another fish could work (be sure to rearrange when/if you do) or it could cause bigger problems. Using a stress coat regularly is a help to keeping the fish healthy, and whenever they get stressed, ie adding things (plants, fish or water) or moving things around in the tank. Try rearranging the tank first and see if that works. So long as the bully fish is not hurting the smaller fish I don't think you should worry too much. Sometimes, males in tanks fight, usually over females. Maybe getting a couple females in the tank would help (though I'm not sure how you tell). Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment