Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How much of the plant is needed to grow an aloe plant?

We've had this big pot of aloe that's been growing for probably 10 years. There are just so many buds(?) competing that the bottom leaves of most buds are just dying. I pulled out a section and put it in a separate pot but after pulling out the dead leaves there's at least 6 inches of stem from where the dead leaves were. I was wondering if I cut the plant so that the root is in one pot and part of the stem and the leaves went in another, would either survive? Thanks! Oh, and any suggestions about how to care for the big pot would be appreciated too.

How much of the plant is needed to grow an aloe plant?
A plant that age should be giving off alot of "babies". They are smaller ones growing off the side one the bottom of the big plant. I pull mine apart and make sure to get root and at least 1 "leaf". I never have a problem. Just make sure your older plant has enough room for it's roots. Has it bloomed for you? I didn't know they did that until mine surprised me with one. Good luck and happy growing.
Reply:I found a bunch of aloe that someone was tossing out. long and stringy.I took them home and buried them to the bottom part of the plant in a pot.I have to separate them every other year. I think you need to take the plant out of its pot and redo it.separate in to three different piles

place in the longest ones first.in the (center) fill with soil to the next level, plant the next size and so on.watter well let dry out completely, then watter.so you don't over water .it to grow healthy new roots. best of luck ( added) note; feed in warmer weather to promote flowering.

Gumps

No comments:

Post a Comment