Tuesday, February 14, 2012

When should I repot an avocado tree?

I am growing an avocado tree that is about a year old. It's about 18 inches hight and growing, but kind of slowly. It's been in its current pot for about 8 months--when should I give it new soil and a bigger space? FYI the pot is plenty big for the tree at its current size. I'm an apartment dweller, so ground planting is not an option.

When should I repot an avocado tree?
as with all potted plant, change the soil is not necessary but you can do it once a year. They said pot should be as big as the foliage. But for me, just pull the tree out of the pot in spring, if it has root-bound (roots from a tight net inside the pot) then it's time to transplant and change soil, otherwise, just throw it back in and fertilize it.



Avocado is a giant tree (up to 65ft high) so you need to keep pruning it and trimming it to keep it in check (so that you can keep it in a reasonable size pot)


No comments:

Post a Comment